Thursday, April 1, 2010

Welcome to HMTS!!!

How Do I Fit? This lesson is intended to challenge you to some self reflection. For example:

1) Are you called to be a church planter?What kind of church planter are you?
2) What kind of church planter are you?
3) What has God placed in you to prepare you to personally win the lost?
4) What vital things must exist in any church planter?

Hopefully, you'll discover that not all church planters are alike. Each plants in a different way.

Discuss some of your victories and some areas where you feel you could improve.

Iron sharpeneth iron. May the Lord help us all to be the best we can be!

40 comments:

  1. I think that I really have tried to make an effort to be culturally understanding in the community that I live in. I pastor in southeast Alaska and the primary population here is Tlingit native Alaskan. For the first year I was the minority as all my church was Native. there is a delicate balancing act to maintain this realtionship of which I feel we have made great gains. I am excited to see what God has in store in the coming year and to him be all the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some of the areas that i feel like I could improve is balancing time. I have 3 boys and work and church and a full time college student as well. I think this has been great that it has allowed me to meet many people, of who have now come to our church, however I think it is important to do some prioritizing as well. this is an area that I would like to see me work a little harder on and make sure that everyones needs are being meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree with you on the balancing of time! I've always been pretty good at time management but at this stage it seems more difficult than ever before. In the past I have tried to compartmentalize the different "sections" of my life. Now, as a Home Missionary, church work can't be a "compartment". It must be an active part of every aspect of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro. Gann I agree. I think now I sometimes feel I am behind before I even get started. To me church work can't be an after thought or action.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that balancing church, community, work, family, and my personal relationship with God (not in order of priority) is a challenge. Nevertheless, I sense a great excitement in being in the will of God. If I be faithful in all these areas, God is going to bless in every area that I serve Him to the end that he will be glorified. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE are certainly called to be church planters.Since it was just my wife and myself as the only apostolics in town,we are in the category of the parachute-rs behind enemy lines.Jesus has placed in us a love for souls.We certainly have the message of truth,but love is the #1 ingredient for success.1Cor.13:13.And now abideth faith hope and charity (love) and the greatest of these is charity.Yes we must preach the truth but with "all" longsuffering and doctrine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vitals of becoming a church planter I believe you must first clearly hear from God.For when you, "not if you" come into times of doubt,and discouragement we can encourage ourselves in God because he called you.We must have a consistent prayer life.We must have Holy Ghost direction and a plan to reach our city for Christ.We must know God has never left us,and constantly realize that the Lord is working with us confirming the word with signs following.We have had wonderful victories and some temporary defeats.In less than 5 years we have baptized 85 souls in Jesus Name and 70 have received the Holy Ghost praise the Lord!We have however lost a number of our people to other churches mostly due to holiness.We have had others backslide away from God.I am convinced we are building on the only solid foundation Jesus Christ.Our present problem is every one we've reached for God for the most part are still babes in Christ,we are praying for a solid couple to help us in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to comment on my Alaskan brothers comment "sometimes you feel behind even before you get started".My Grandfather had a farm in southern Ontario Canada,and I helped him on that farm planting seed,pulling weeds and finally in the summer helping him to reap the harvest.Our harvest of souls will never happen over night.Galations 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing:for in due season we shall reap,"IF" we faint not.Lets all pray one for another for a mighty harvest of souls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bro Harwood that is so true! It is a matter of keeping going, and I know we shall see the harvest. This is the very heartbeat of God that the lost be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems that many church planters from other organizations/denominations are availing themselves of what Bro. Coon refers to as the "Colonization Plant". Very few withint the UPCI seem to be doing so. Although I think I understand the major reasons for this, I can't help but wonder if we might not see more success in the viability of our own church plants if this was more widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been in Ridgeland for 1 1/2 yrs and had four recieve the Holy Ghost last year. The first one to recieve it was a man(we will call him Bob) that was recently Baptized by another Pastor in a neighboring town, where Bob's aunt had been attending for many years. After about a month or so He was filled with the Holy Ghost and it was great for a while. Then a new family started coming to church which my wife and I were working with very closely. I started to use the wife of the new family in small areas before she had recieved the Holy Ghost. Well, Bob did not like this at all. He would go to his aunt and tell her everything that was going on at our church and she would tell him we were wrong. It got pretty tough for a while until he rebuked me after a service one Sunday night. I had to confront him and tell he was wrong. He apologized the next day, but about two months later he stopped coming to church and will not answer any phone calls or call me back or even speak to me in public. I learned a valuable lesson on how I should have discipled him better. Does anyone have any comments on ways to balance your focus on new people and people you are trying to disciple?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife and I came to Columbia, SC as a "parachute" church planter ... behind enemy lines. Although I wish we could have come with the "colonization" approach! It would be great to have a team of qualified leaders to help us. Bro. Coon titled this lesson, "How Do I Fit?". I feel it's also important to consider "WHERE" do I fit? Every community has a DNA and I feel it's important to have the right "chemistry" to fit in with your city. In the spiritual sense, we're called to change that DNA but in the natural sense, I feel it's difficult to be effective if I don't fit with the community. I'm very thankful that God not only has given us a love for souls in a general sense but also a love for our city. I feel this helps to make the ups and downs of being a church planter are much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Considering areas I can improve upon ... I love people and getting out and meeting people but for now, my secular employment keeps me working out of town quite a bit and also working alone rather than with people that I could influence for the Kingdom. One of the benefits of being bi-vocational is working around people and having the opportunity to build relationships. In my case, my employment doesn't allow this opportunity. Often I get home after work and am tired and would like to stay home and read or study. I need to take advantage of as much free time as possible to get out among people. Maybe I should do my reading and relaxing at Starbucks or Books A Million.

    ReplyDelete
  14. W. Joyce, the balance between winning the new and discipling the converted is always a challenge. Sometimes it is simply a matter of timing. At times, we harvest new converts, which is then followed by a season of discipling those new ones for a time, until we realize a new time of harvest. Further, in the end, it's all discipling. The new convert is just at the very beginning of the discipleship process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bro. Joyce, concerning discipling, our future plan is to implement the small group focus. This will be during the week as we only have an afternoon Sunday worship service. I hope to utilize this small group setting for not only inviting new people to a "non-church" setting, but also for discipleship for our new people. Possibly in a non-threatening, casual setting of small group (either in someone's home, at coffee shops, etc.) it may be easier for people to open up and experience deeper conversation and we can be more specific to their individual needs. We can structure the teaching for different groups, according to their expereince and needs. As people grow individually, I'll be able to notice those with leadership potential and will begin training small group leaders. We're not there yet but that is our plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My wife and I are both Bilingual (Spanish) speaking and it has proved to be a great asset for the kingdom of God. There are many cultures within the Spanish speaking community and this takes great understanding that you dont lump everyone in one basket as a "Spanish group." This takes great understanding of their culture and social upbringing in order to reach this culture. Love is the chief means to cross cultural barriers but it does not always translate as such. God must be directing the ministry for multicultural churches or it can be misunderstood and thus missing the mark. That's one way God has prepared my wife and I in this ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I believe that God has used me to reach the Coachella Valley by starting small Home Fellowship Groups in multiple locations. I have spent many nights training diffrent people that have expressed a desire to teach and lead these fellowship groups. I believe accountability is key and the weekly reports provide the data to back up the efforts made in that Home Fellowship Group. The leader understands that this is just not a social gathering but an evangelistic tool. I have learned to train up leaders and during this process I can check their spirit and encourage them with fresh ideas or maybe changing something that is not working for them. I believe this type of leadership training is what keeps me accountable to them and lets them know I sincerely care about their success.

    ReplyDelete
  18. W.Joyce: I can say that I have been thru my share of disappointments but that has not stopped the fact that souls are the focal point and we must keep moving forward. Some people in the church are going to drain you, exhaust your time, and try your spirit in every possible way. There is not much you can do about this group but pray for direction and wisdom to address them. On the other hand there are those who are hungry for God and are looking to make themselves available and they will put in the time to reach others. This is the group who you need to focus your time on and develope their ministry. The first group will always seek you out to chat about their next trial, so prayer and the word is what will equip you for this group. In regards to "Bob", the best thing that could have happended actually happended. You are actually in a good position that it took place in the infancy stages of the church and not when you have 50 plus saints that would have been affected in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do I fit? This video struck a chord with me. My wife and I are sure we are called to the location we are at. I am Bi-vocational and it seems at the time I would fit in the catagory of a parachute missionary. We do have family support and many people are praying for us, including our home church. God has opened so many doors and provided so much already.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The following post is from me. I posted it earlier but was having problems with my account showing my name.

    It seems that many church planters from other organizations/denominations are availing themselves of what Bro. Coon refers to as the "Colonization Plant". Very few withint the UPCI seem to be doing so. Although I think I understand the major reasons for this, I can't help but wonder if we might not see more success in the viability of our own church plants if this was more widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ppdap:

    My parents pastor a bilingual congregation in south Arkansas. Dealing with the Hispanic community definitely has it's own flavor. My mother is from Mexico, as are many of their members. However, they also have those from other South American countries as well as those from the US who do not speak English. Watching my parents "fit" into this ministry was remarkable. I absolutely believe that if we we will be sensitive and perceptive to the leading of God, we all will find ourselves in situations that it seems as if we were tailor-made to fit. God help me to be aware of the opportunities You are sending my way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking back today over the past decade or so that my wife and I have been involved in ministry, in an assistant pastor role at a larger established church, I see how God was preparing me to "fit" all the while. He allowed us to be part of a very unique situation where I gleaned so much from our pastor, and then the Lord put us in an a VERY similar situation in another city. It is amazing to me, that God was molding me for this particular locale years before I had any clue He would take us this route. It's not only about fitting a type of church plant, but I think that it's also about fitting the particular type of ministry that your city is needing, by whichever means of planting we get there. Thank God for the Potter's wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What has God placed in me to win this community. Well, he has filled me with the truth of his word. Nothing can compare to the power of God and his word. The testimony that God has given us, will be very helpful in winning the lost as we find them. I love Bible studies. Find where someone is spiritually and lead them closer to God!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bro O'Connell, I agree that Colonization would eb very nice. But I can't see that ever happening in our area. God will grow the church as we put forth the effort. It would eb nice to have a ew seasoned saints helping out with new church plants. But these seminars have been encouraging to me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bro. O'Connell, I've always appreciated and admired your parents! They were able to minister in a multi-cultural church environment before there was as much emphasis as there is now. God knows our individual strengths and abilities and if we are sensitive to His leading, I feel He will guide us to a place where we will "FIT" and be most effective for His Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel that the challenges of bi-vocational ministry can be helpful in establishing relationships with new folks in planting a church. For us, as both my wife and I had full time jobs in our community, it allowed for greater opportunities for people to see us on a personal level and then provided an open door for soul-winning. Of course, the difficulties of time and energy spent in a 45-50 hour a week job can be limiting to the attention we are able to give to the new work, it does at least afford us an opportunity to share our faith with others with both our words and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I appreciate the mention of the cultural differences surrounding planting churches in a geographical area. One ought to be willing to be flexible enough to adapt to the foods, likes, sports, and community that he/she is planted. If not, how can we ever really be effective in reaching individuals who have made a life there? This lesson gave voice to the appropriate mind-set of planting a church, allowing for the church planter to ensure they hold to the “endurance factor” mentioned in this lesson. I appreciate this perspective and feel encouraged by these words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  28. K. O’Connell: I appreciate your thoughts revolving around the “colonization” model mentioned in this lesson. If we as a movement began adapting this approach, it would seem that many of our new works could be self sufficient in a shorter amount of time, thereby multiplying our efforts to plant additional new church plants in North America. We would shift from simply adding new churches to a multiplication of new churches at a quicker rate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is important, just as it is to Exegete the Scripture, it is also vital for church planters to Exegete the culture and to know the community(ies) that you reach.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ John R - I like what you said about "What has God placed in me to win my community".. I believe that God knows the cities that are best suited for certain people. When He calls us, we were designed from day 1 for that city. Everything that God has brought us through, allowed in our life are preparation for now!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Since arriving to Portland, the Lord has given us a burden to affect certain areas of the city that have been strongholds for a long time. So with confirmation from the video and the Spirit moving upon me again in a fresh way that He has called us to be Career Church Planters in Portland, Oregon. I'm not sure how He is going to work it out, but I know He will!! Knowing the Non-Negotiables and the Spiritual Operations is really helpful and I'm thanful to Bro Coon for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We started as a Daughter work a little over a year ago. Since that time, I have come to understand the advantages of this kind of church plant. For most of that time, we had no building to hold services. At many times, we had no visitors. Had it not been for a mother church helping us nurse the plant, the discouragement may have been too overwhelming to continue. Fortunately we had great people to fall back on and receive strength from during that first year. Now we are an autonomous church, we have a building, we have people and have baptized 5 in the last two months. Most of what this church has is because the Mother churches have contributed so much. Both in financing and other types of assistance. I'm a believer in the Mother-Daughter Church Plant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Our church has a mixture of African American members and white members. It has been my desire from the start for this to be a multi-cultural church. Recently have noticed that one side sits on one side and the other sits on the opposite side. There doesn't seem to be any visible friction and everybody talks to each other b4 and after service. Our services are powerful and anointed, yet sometimes I feel like there may be a wall that needs to come down. I attend functions for both and involve everybody in all we do, but feel like we could be closer if we could do more together. I'm just wondering if anybody might have any suggestions or insight to something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Our church plant would fit under the "parachute" model. Although we did receive guidance and limited financial assistance from the church my we were attending, we started autonomous. I think the rich experiences God has allowed me to go through in life has helped me to be able to connect and talk to people at all different categories of society. I think there must exist a "holy" dissatisfaction within a church planter with their current situation that propels them to do more, reach more, build more. I think there should be a thankfulness for what God has done but I don't want to be satisfied when we have 20 or 30 or 100 people.
    We have seen our demographics of the church completely flip upside down since starting. When we started, our congregation looked like us, white - mid 20's. However, as our church has developed, now we pastor a mostly african-american church. We have had to adapt our food tastes at times, as well as understanding that cultural background and issues.

    ReplyDelete
  35. to kkirk: We have had similar experiences with those of different races in our church. One thing we do is to have a time, usually during the offering time, where we have people greet and talk to someone they have not greeted thus far before service. We also have had people during prayer hold hands or put a hand on shoulder so nobody is untouched. We also do a lot of potlucks and this encourages conversation and fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  36. in response to The Sanctuary: My wife and I are both bi-vocational and see this as a great opportunity to connect with those in our community. My wife teaches middle school and is able to counsel young people facing family and home problems. My job puts me in a different persons home everyday and I have been able to invite many people to our church, pray for people, and share scripture at different times as people open up during conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  37. God has brought me out of a background of heavy drug addiction and this has allowed me to connect with people dealing with similar addictions. I am never surprised when sinners act like sinners and try not to act offended. This has allowed people to view me and our church as "real" and not trying to play the part of a church. I honestly believe that even though some may not attend out church we have contact with occasionally , once we reach them, they in turn will broaden our influence based on their existing relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  38. In my initial years as a minister, church planting was not part of my plans. But God had different plans for me. As I was Co Pastoring a church of 500 members my assumption was I was comfortable and happy. But God began to deal with me concerning church planting. The more I would try to get away from it the more God would impress it in my heart to do. I was no longer satisfied with mature members in a large church. God began to place a deep burden for the lost. It was a forgone conclusion that church planting would be the facilitator to such a burden.

    The way we started our church was with no help financial help, members, or helpers. We were basically on our own in all areas. I consider myself a bi-vocation Parachute church planter.

    My preparation came from a burden that God placed for people. Since a young man I always had a knack of connecting with people. People are drawn to me of all ages. I began to realize this was not just charisma, but a special gift from God to reach the lost. I have used that many times over and over. I do thank God for such a gift.

    Vital things that must exist in a church planter are as follows: First, one who listens and obeys the voice of God. Second, must be people oriented and have people skills. The kingdom of God is all about people. Third, must have finances and be resourceful. A church planter needs money to rent, buy resources, bless others, fliers, equipment and so on. Fourthly, this should probably be second on the list but I would have to say a wife who is fully supportive of this endeavor is vital for a church planter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Philip Bowers-We to are both bi vocational. My wife is an elementary teacher and she has been able to work with the parent inviting them to church. Our first members were two of her students. As a matter of fact she is known as Mrs. Rodriguez due to the families she has invited from her school. Our work has provided us the opportunity to connect and bring people. I definitely agree with you it does provide opportunities to connect with people in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 1) Are you called to be a church planter?
    I did not think this was my calling however that is exactly what God has done with us in Norfolk.

    2) What kind of church planter are you?
    We started as a daughter church. After three year the Mother church released us to become an autonomous work.

    3) What has God placed in you to prepare you to personally win the lost?
    God birthed in us a compassion and desire to reach the Hispanic community of Norfolk. Now as we've grown God has changed our focus to not only be a Spanish church but a Bilingual church and reach our entire community. My Father was a church planter in Colombia and upon moving to the U.S. he planted a successful church in Chicago that is now more than 30 years old. Working with him and growing up in ministry prepared me to do what we are now doing in Norfolk.

    4) What vital things must exist in any church planter?
    Passion to win the lose
    Passion to get up when you're down
    Determination
    Confidence in God's calling
    "No quit" attitude

    ReplyDelete